Monday, July 7, 2008

Anger Issues

I frequently find myself cursing lots of people (though mostly in English so who knows if anyone even gets it). The auto-rickshaw drivers are enough in themselves to evoke violence from a homeostatically peaceful person. And of course, then there’s me. Whether they are telling me their meter is broken and thus must charge me quadruple what normal Indians pay, pretending they don’t have change, or overtly staring at me in their mirror, they are not an easy bunch to get along with.

My white skin gets me out of trouble and into comfortable seats at most restaurants, but it also means I’m overcharged everywhere else. In addition to all over the other stereotypes, related to nationality, my skin signals money. And I guess that’s fair. In my worst moods I think YOU, Mr. Auto-rickshaw driver, should pay ME to deal with this dirty disgusting place.

I know I’m in a bad mood but the cows and the sewage and the heat and the smog and the gross men and the bad covers of my favorite oldies and the shady guy who sold me a magic wireless cards that doesn’t work and everything else are just getting to me.


with love, T

2 comments:

flatbill said...

As a money-obsessed middle-aged American, I am usually uplifted by your lack of money concerns. I consider this post a vent for temporary annoyances, and you will soon be back to your carefree self. To speed your recovery I have a $100 bill that is tagged for MISS T ATTITUDE RECOVERY FUND. Reckless spending of this extra $100 is encouraged. Please email or phone me immediate instructions to wire this to you.
BluSkyz!

UB

Granny's World said...

Hello T
We miss you...
Sending Lots of Hugs