Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ah today...

I woke up at 6, coughed all of the phlegm accumulation out of my lungs, made organic cherry green tea, ran upstairs, turned on the computer, ready to finish my grad school essays and then POW the power went out.

"This is India," she tells me. It's a phrase I've heard many times before, apologetic, sort of, of the hassles that they are used to and know I am not. This was yesterday when my auto-rickshaw driver was demanding extra compensation for his services because the women's stitching crafts group I went to was way out in the boonies. We haggled and I paid him to wait for me, unwilling to take the public bus back to civilization.

Yesterday morning I went to the Hyatt to hang out at the Delhi Network meeting (aka. rich white ladies club). The chocolate pastries are free and tasty and the conversation is entertaining, at the least. I'll be back volunteering at their office later this week. It's a nice way to meet people, share my experiences in this city, and maybe I can launch my fair-trade business at their monthly bazaar type thing, under encouraging, appreciative eyes.

Then last night I got my ear pierced in the middle of an open market, standing up, with other potential customers edging their way into me.

AH!

So today - American Women's Association meeting, then visiting crafts NGO Dastkar to look for bag samples and little boxes/baskets for my body products for my catalog.

XOXO!

No comments: